[Busec] BUsec this week: Valerio Pastro (Monday 10am) & BFOC'13 (Friday)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sun Mar 3 13:41:16 EST 2013

Hi all,

On Monday 10am, Valerio Pastro, who is visiting us from Aarhus, will
be talking about multiparty computation and somewhat
homomorphic encryption. Also, seminar will start with a 10-minute
practice talk for BFOC'13 by our own Danny Cooper, who will be talking
about his work with me and Leo Reyzin on RPKI manipulations.

Also, BFOC'13 is next Friday March 8! Program is now online; please
register if you plan to attend:

http://www.bu.edu/cs/bfoc/

How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
Shuttle" http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

******

Title: Multiparty Computation from Somewhat Homomorphic Encryption
(aka The SPDZ protocol)
Speaker: Valerio Pastro. Aarhus.
When:  Monday March 4, 10AM.  MCS137.

Starting with a 10-minute talk about RPKI manipulations by Danny Cooper, BU.

Abstract: We propose a general multiparty computation protocol secure
against an active adversary corrupting up to $n-1$ of the $n$ players.
The protocol  may be used to compute securely arithmetic circuits over
any finite field  $\F_{p^k}$. Our protocol consists of a preprocessing
phase that is both independent of the function to be computed and of
the inputs, and a much more efficient online phase where the actual
computation takes place. The online phase is unconditionally secure
and has total computational (and communication) complexity linear in
$n$, the number of players, where earlier work was quadratic in $n$.
Hence, the work done by each player in the online phase is independent
of $n$ and moreover is only a small constant factor larger than what
one would need to compute the circuit in the clear. It is the first
protocol in the preprocessing model with these properties. We show a
lower bound implying that for computation in large fields, our
protocol is optimal. In practice, for 3 players, a secure 64-bit
multiplication can be done in 0.05 ms. Our preprocessing is based on a
somewhat homomorphic cryptosystem. We extend a scheme by Brakerski et
al., so that we can perform distributed decryption and handle many
values in parallel in one ciphertext. The computational complexity of
our preprocessing phase is dominated by the public-key operations, we
need $O(n^2/s)$ operations per secure multiplication where $s$ is a
parameter that increases with the security parameter of the
cryptosystem. Earlier work in this model needed $\Omega(n^2)$
operations. In practice, the preprocessing prepares a secure 64-bit
multiplication for 3 players in about 13 ms, which is 2-3 order of
magnitude faster than the best previous results.

Joint work with: Ivan Damgaard, Nigel Smart, Sarah Zakarias