[Busec] Fwd: [cis-seminars] Indistinguishability Obfuscation and Functional Encryption for all circuits

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Fri Jun 21 15:44:47 EDT 2013

FYI. New, exciting result.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Holly A Jones <hjones01 at csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Subject: [cis-seminars] Indistinguishability Obfuscation and
Functional Encryption for all circuits
To: cis-seminars at csail.mit.edu

Speaker: Amit Sahai (UCLA)

Title: Indistinguishability Obfuscation and Functional Encryption for
all circuits
Date: Friday, July 26, 2013
Time: 12:10pm-3pm (talk), refreshments at 12:00pm
Location: 1st floor in MSR
Refreshments: TBD
Note: This will be a 3 hour long white board talk with a break in the middle.

Abstract:
The goal of secure program obfuscation is to make a program
``unintelligible'' while preserving functionality. Unfortunately, 12
years ago, Barak et al. showed that the most natural simulation-based
formulation of this problem is impossible to achieve. However, Barak
et al. also proposed the alternative notion of indistinguishability
obfuscation, which requires that given any two equivalent circuits C
and C' of similar size, the obfuscations of C and C' should be
computationally indistinguishable.

While indistinguishability obfuscation for general circuits has been a
tantalizing open question, it has also been an enigma: It is not clear
what, exactly, an indistinguishability obfuscator must hide about the
circuit it transforms. Therefore, it has not been clear how useful
such an obfuscator would be.

In this talk, we present a construction of indistinguishability
obfuscators for all circuits using ideal lattices, and give new
techniques to leverage the power of indistinguishability obfuscation
for applications. In particular, we use indistinguishability
obfuscation as a critical tool to resolve the open question of
functional encryption for general circuits:
In functional encryption, ciphertexts encrypt inputs x and keys are
issued for circuits C. Using the key SK_C to decrypt an encryption of
x yields the value C(x), but does not reveal anything else about x.
Furthermore, no collusion of secret key holders should be able to
learn anything more than the union of what they can each learn
individually. The functional encryption scheme we construct also
enjoys succinct ciphertexts, which enables several other applications.

If time permits, I will also talk about additional applications of
indistinguishability obfuscation, and open problems in obfuscation.

This talk will be based on joint works with Sanjam Garg, Craig Gentry, Shai
Halevi, Mariana Raykova, and Brent Waters.

--
Holly Jones
Room 32-G675A, Stata Center, MIT, Cambridge MA 02139