[Busec] Fwd: MIT Big Data Privacy Workshop -- June 19 2013

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Fri Jun 7 09:06:25 EDT 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Bruce <ebruce at csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Subject: MIT Big Data Privacy Workshop -- June 19 2013
To: Elizabeth Bruce <ebruce at csail.mit.edu>
Cc: Sheila Marian <sheila at csail.mit.edu>

Hi all,

This is an invitation and reminder to register for the MIT Big Data
Privacy Workshop hosted by bigdata at csail on June 19 2013.

Big Data promises a better world where data will be used to make
better decisions about our lives.  But questions arise when it comes
to how data will get used and for what purpose?  who owns the data?
and how do we account for misuse?

In today's Boston Globe:  Is Big Data turning government into "Big Brother"?
(http://www.boston.com/business/technology/2013/06/07/big-data-turning-government-into-big-brother/4qUhEg6HgP27rzKELnKrgM/story-1.html)

We look forward to discussing these issues and thinking about the
future role of technology in protecting privacy.

Working agenda attached.

Registration: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5918816339#
Password:  BDwk2

Speakers to include:
 - Prof. David Vladeck, Georgetown University Law Center and former
Director of the US Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer
Protection
 - Prof. Andrew Lo, Sloan School of Management, MIT
 - Maritza Johnson, Technical Privacy Manager, Facebook
 - Prof. Alex (Sandy) Pentland, Media Lab MIT
 - Daniel Weitzner, Distributed Information Group, MIT CSAIL
 - Prof. Kobbi Nissim, visiting scholar at Harvard
 - Prof. Ashwin Machanavajjhala, Duke
 - Robert Zandoli, AIG

If you have questions regarding registration and logistics -- please
contact Sheila Marion (sheila at csail.mit.edu).  Info on hotels is on
the Eventbrite site.

See you there!

Elizabeth Bruce
Sam Madden
Danial Weitzner
(organizers)

--

Elizabeth J. Bruce
Executive Director, Big Data Initiative at CSAIL