[Busec] Next Practical Security Seminar tomorrow (7/22) at noon

Zhang, Yuting danazh at bu.edu
Sun Jul 28 21:22:24 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Our next MET-sponsored RISCS seminar will be tomorrow July 29 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.

Title : Parasitic Computing: A Better Solution to Distributed Tasks
Speaker : Jacob Fucci

Abstract: With so many computers connected to the internet and having cpu cycles to spare, many distributed computing solutions have been conceived, such as BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing). However, these solutions require special software to be installed on the client and often require direct manipulation by the user contributing their resources. Imagine a solution that is almost completely invisible to the user: this is the concept of parasitic computing. In this talk, I will outline some uses of parasitic computing, both beneficial and malicious, some of the various ways in which the concept has been attempted already, and my own plans for creating a parasitic computing environment with Javascript.

As usual, a light lunch will accompany the seminar.  Hope to see you there,

Sorry for the late notice.

Thanks,
Yuting