[Busec] Next Practical Security Seminar on Monday, 7/22 at noon: two students talks

Zhang, Yuting danazh at bu.edu
Fri Jul 19 12:01:12 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Our next MET-sponsored RISCS seminar will be next Monday, July 22 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
We will have two student speakers, one from ECE and the other from MET. The talk titles and abstracts are as following:

Title : Lethal Hacking: How Hackers can Kill you
Speaker : Paul Varghese (ECE)

Abstract : If hackers really want to cause physical harm, are we making it easier for them by integrating our daily lives with electronic devices? In this talk we will describe various attack avenues (Implantable medical devices, networked cars...) hackers could possibly use to cause lethal harm. We will also discuss possible solutions that can counter this ever growing threat.

Title: Control System Security: SCADA -Aware Firewall Deployment Study
Speaker: Alper Ozbilen (MET)

Abstract:  Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems or other control systems are widely used in critical infrastructure and industrial plants. Since most of the control networks perform critical functions such as electricity or water transmission or distribution systems, catastrophic events might be occurred when these systems are compromised. Although SCADA systems are considered historically isolated from other computer networks, more and more systems have been connected to enterprise networks or the internet over the last decade. In this talk, we will discuss about the difference in security requirements between typical IT based enterprise network and SCADA networks. We will also take a look at the SCADA-protocol aware firewall deployments study.

As usual, a light lunch will accompany the seminar.  Hope to see you there!

Thanks,
Yuting