[Busec] GREPSEC: a computer security workshop for women and underrepresented groups

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Tue Jan 22 17:33:41 EST 2013

FYI ...

GREPSEC: a computer security workshop for women and underrepresented
groups (target audience: graduate students; if space is available,
some undergraduates may be invited)

Security research is a great field that has not attracted women and
minorities in any great numbers, despite the wonderful opportunities
available.  We'd like to change that --- and so does NSF, CRA-W/CDC,
and Microsoft (among others).  We're pleased to announce GREPSEC, a
computer security workshop for women and underrepresented groups.
Come and learn about why great minds are drawn to security.

GREPSEC is a day-and-a-half-long workshop scheduled for May 18-19,
2013 in San Francisco, occurring just prior to the annual IEEE
Symposium on Security and Privacy.  The workshop will consist of a
number of talks by leading academic and industry researchers in
computer security.  (A list of speakers may be found at:
http://www.ieee-security.org/grepsec/schedule.html.) The workshop will
include a number of research talks as well as panels looking at
research from various perspectives including information assurance
from a hardware and software point of view, picking good research
problems, and privacy from both a policy and technical perspective.
There will be breaks to afford students time to meet informally with
the speakers.

Funding for this meeting has been provided by the US National Science
Foundation, a grant from CRA-W/CDC, and Microsoft Research, and travel
funding will be available for graduate students at US institutions.
If space permits, we may admit some advanced undergraduates.

Application information can be found at:
http://www.ieee-security.org/grepsec/apply.html .  Applications are
due March 1. Applicants will be informed by April 1 whether they have
been admitted and the size of their travel award.  Workshop
participants will be encouraged to attend the IEEE Symposium on
Security and Privacy meeting, which will begin on May 19.  We regret
that workshop travel funding cannot cover participation in the IEEE
Symposium.

If you have questions about the workshop, please direct them to one of
Susan, Hilarie, or Terry
(susan.landau at privacyink.org,hilarie at purplestreak.com,
tbenzel at isi.edu). We encourage all eligible students to apply.

Please feel free to share this mail with potential candidates.

Best,

Susan (Terry Benzel, Susan Landau, and Hilarie Orman, GREPSEC organizers)

--

Erik Russell

Director of Programs

Computing Research Association