[Busec] Boston Freedom in Online Communications Day (BFOC) - March 8

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:09:23 EST 2013

Hi,

Nick Feamster and I are organizing a "Day" on online censorship at BU
on March 8, with speakers from technology, law and public policy.
We're currently soliciting abstracts for short talks and posters (due
Feb 21).   Registration is free, but required for planning purposes.

http://www.bu.edu/cs/bfoc/

I hope you will consider attending, and/or submitting an abstract!

Boston Freedom in Online Communications Day (BFOC'13)

The Internet offers great promise for improving the communication
capabilities of citizens, but our increasing dependence on networked
communications also makes it easier for organizations and governments
to control, monitor, and block communications.  The growing trend
toward blocking, tampering, or otherwise restricting communications on
the Internet calls for improved techniques both for monitoring the
state of restrictions on Internet content and communications, in order
to inform users, and for circumventing attempts to censor, degrade, or
otherwise tamper with Internet communications.

Many researchers and practitioners in the Boston area are engaged in
studying, detecting, or circumventing practices that inhibit free and
open communications on the Internet. Building on the success of many
recent Boston and NYC “Days”, the main purposes of BFOC is to
encourage collaboration between local researchers and practitioners in
technology, law, and policy that are working in this area. The overall
structure of the day will involve longer ”keynote” talks by invited
speakers, with a short talks session and a poster session.  Confirmed
speakers include:

* Andrew Lewman, Executive Director, the Tor project.
* And more to be added in the coming days.

Date / Location
  BFOC 2013 will be held at Boston University on Friday, March 8, 2013
from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Registration / Call for Presentations:

 Attendance is free, but registration is required for planning
 purposes. Register now!

For short talks and posters, send an email to bfoc at cs.bu.edu by
 Thursday, February 21 2013, including a brief (<300 word) description
 of your work, along with an indication of a preference for the work to
 be presented as a short talk or a poster, or be considered for both.
 We will select a number of short talks and put together a poster
 session.

Organizing Information
  BFOC 2013 is generously hosted by the Hariri Institute. The
 organizing committee is Sharon Goldberg (Boston University) and Nick
 Feamster (Georgia Tech).