[Busec] Fwd: CS Colloquium Wed, 2/6: Nicole Immorlica

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Sun Feb 3 19:56:42 EST 2013

*The Degree of Segregation in Social Networks: Nicole Immorlica*, MSR
NE, Northwestern
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
MCS 148 11 - 12

*Abstract*:

Social networks form the basic medium of social interaction. The
structure of these networks significantly impacts and co-evolves with
the behavioral patterns of society. Important societal outcomes – the
global reach of an epidemic, the degree of cooperation in an online
network, the adoption of new technologies – are dictated by social
networks. In this talk, we explore the impact of networks on
segregation. In 1969, economist Thomas Schelling introduced a landmark
model of racial segregation in which individuals move out of
neighborhoods where their ethnicity constitutes a minority. Simple
simulations of Schelling's model suggest that this local behavior can
cause global segregation effects. In this talk, we provide a rigorous
analysis of Schelling's model on ring networks. Our results show that,
in contrast to prior interpretations, the outcome is nearly
integrated: the average size of an ethnically-homogenous region is
independent of the size of the society and only polynomial in the size
of a neighborhood. Joint work with Christina Brandt, Gautam Kamath,
and Robert D. Kleinberg.

*Bio*:

Nicole Immorlica is a researcher at Microsoft Research in New England
(MSR NE) and an assistant professor in EECS at Northwestern
University. She received her PhD from MIT in 2005 and continued on to
do postdocs at Microsoft Research and Centruum voor Wiskunde en
Informatica (CWI) before starting her tenure-track job. She is the
recipient of various fellowships and awards including the NSF CAREER
Award, the Sloan Fellowship and the Microsoft New Faculty Fellowship.
Her research interests lie in the field of algorithmic game theory,
specifically social networks, market design, and mechanism design.