[Busec] LAST Practical Security Seminar on Monday, August 19

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Sun Aug 18 11:58:46 EDT 2013

Our last MET-sponsored RISCS seminar will meet tomorrow, Monday, August 19 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
Our speaker will be Morteza Hashemi from ECE:

TITLE: Hacking humans- movie plot or realistic threat?

ABSTRACT:  Wirelessly reprogrammable implantable medical devices (IMDs)
such as pacemakers and insulin pumps are being increasingly used to improve
patients’ medical conditions. Such devices use embedded chips and radios to
monitor and treat patients. Designers of IMDs are primarily concerned with
reliability, power consumption, and cost of their products. However, recent
research has demonstrated potential security and privacy risks of IMDs.

In this talk we will particularly discuss about insulin pumps and
pacemakers, and describe how hackers can kill somebody  by remotely
controlling an insulin pump from up to 300 feet away via a $20 radio
frequency transmitter.

As usual, a light lunch will accompany the talk.  Looking forward to seeing you there!
best,
	-Ari

---
Prof. Ari Trachtenberg            ECE, Boston University
trachten at bu.edu                    http://people.bu.edu/trachten