[Busec] BUsec seminar tomorrow is cancelled

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sun Oct 28 18:34:39 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Classes at BU are cancelled tomorrow, so we will cancel our seminar as well.

Allison Lewko's talk will be rescheduled to next Monday Nov 5.
Justin Thaler will also be talking on Friday of next week.

Thanks,
Sharon

BUsec Calendar:  https://sites.google.com/site/busecuritygroup/calendar

New Proof Techniques and Remaining Challenges for Attribute-Based Encryption
Speaker:  Allison Lewko
***RESCHEDULED!  Nov 5, 10:00am – 11:30am MCS 137 ****

We will present the state of the art for provably secure
attribute-based encryption schemes and also discuss open directions.

This is joint work with Brent Waters.

****
Title: Practical Verified Computation with Streaming Interactive Proofs
Speaker: Justin Thaler, Harvard
Fri Nov 9, 2012, 3:00pm – 4:30pm
MCS148

A potential problem in outsourcing work to commercial cloud computing
services is trust. If we store a large data set with a service
provider, and ask them to perform a computation on that data set --
for example, to compute the eigenvalues of a large graph, or to
compute a linear program on a large matrix derived from a database --
how can we know the computation was performed correctly? Obviously we
don't want to compute the result ourselves, and we might not even be
able to store all the data locally. This leads to new problems in the
streaming paradigm: we consider a streaming algorithm (modeling a user
with limited memory and computational resources) that can be assisted
by a powerful helper (the service provider). The goal of the service
provider is to not only provide the user with answer, but to convince
the user the answer is correct.

In this talk, I will describe a recent line of work exploring the
application of proof systems to problems that are streaming in nature.
The protocols I will discuss utilize and extend powerful ideas from
communication complexity and the theory of interactive proofs, and I
will argue that many are highly practical, achieving millions of
updates per second and requiring little space and communication.

Joint work with Amit Chakrabarti, Graham Cormode, Andrew McGregor,
Michael Mitzenmacher, and Ke Yi