[Busec] BUsec next week: Alessandro Chiesa (Monday Oct 15, 10am MCS137)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:34:34 EDT 2012

All,

On Monday next week, Alessandro Chiesa from MIT will tell us how
proof-carrying data makes delegation more affordable (Monday Oct 15 at
10AM.)  On Thursday next week, CS is hosting a talk with the
International Relations department that some may be interested in.

Our next seminar will be two weeks later, on Monday Oct 29, where
Allison Lewko from MSR will be talking about attribute-based
encryption.

As usual, BUsec talks will be in MCS137 at 111 Cummington St, Boston, with
lunch provided; the CS/IR talk will be at Hariri.  Abstracts below.

Sharon

BUsec Calendar:  https://sites.google.com/site/busecuritygroup/calendar

Title: How Proof-Carrying Data Makes Delegation More Affordable
Speaker: Alessandro Chiesa
Monday October 15,  10AM
MCS137

Abstract:

Succinct arguments are computationally-sound proof systems that allow
verifying NP statements with lower complexity than required for
classical NP verification

In this talk, we will discuss two important efficiency aspects of
succinct arguments:
(1) the time and space complexity of the prover
(2) the offline complexity of the verifier (a.k.a. preprocessing complexity)

We will look at how well (or badly) do existing succinct argument
constructions perform with respect to the above aspects. We will then
discuss how the framework of proof-carrying data can be used to
"bootstrap" non-interactive succinct arguments that suffer from
expensive offline complexity or poor prover complexity (or both) into
SNARKs that no longer suffer from either.
Overall, we achieve a solution that performs very well relative to the
above aspects.

Joint work with Nir Bitansky, Ran Canetti, and Eran Tromer.

****

 “What Increases the Probability of Cyber War?: Bringing International
Relations Theory Back In”

 Timothy Junio

Thursday, October 18,  12:15 to 2:00 p.m. (Lunch will be available at 11:45 a.m)
 Venue: Hariri Institute Seminar Room – 111 Cummington Street, Boston University

Timothy J. Junio (Tim) is a fifth-year doctoral candidate of political
science at the University of Pennsylvania, and during the 2012-2013
academic year will be a predoctoral fellow at the Center for
International Security and Cooperation (CISAC) at Stanford University
(co-funded by the Hoover Institution). He also develops new cyber
capabilities for the US military and intelligence community as a
researcher with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

Few IR scholars have sought to explain the conditions under which
states are likely to use coercion in cyberspace, or more generally how
states should be expected to behave in this new security environment.
Those who have tend to emphasize the improbability of cyber war. In
contrast to rationalist causes of war theories that predict an
equilibrium of mutually defensive cyber strategies in the
international system, Junio presents an argument elevating domestic
political factors with the potential to escalate to the offensive use
of cyber power.

This event is sponsored by the Center for International Relations at
BU and the Computer Science Department at BU.

Seats are limited so please let us know by Monday, October 15, if you
plan to attend: lbpuyat at bu.edu

***
New Proof Techniques and Remaining Challenges for Attribute-Based Encryption
Speaker:  Allison Lewko
Mon, October 29, 10:00am – 11:30am
MCS 137,

We will present the state of the art for provably secure
attribute-based encryption schemes and also discuss open directions.
This is joint work with Brent Waters.