[Busec] BUsec this week: Allison Lewko (Monday 10AM) & Justin Thaler (Friday 3PM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sun Nov 4 15:40:31 EST 2012

Hi all,

At our seminar on tomorrow, Allison Lewko from MSR will be talking about
attribute-based encryption.  (Also, lunch will be provided.) On Friday
this week, Justin Thaler from Harvard will tell us about his work on
verifiable computation.

Abstracts below.  See you tomorrow!

Sharon

BUsec Calendar:  https://sites.google.com/site/busecuritygroup/calendar

New Proof Techniques and Remaining Challenges for Attribute-Based Encryption
Speaker:  Allison Lewko
Mon, October 29, 10:00am – 11:30am
MCS 137

We will present the state of the art for provably secure
attribute-based encryption schemes and also discuss open directions.

This is joint work with Brent Waters.

****
Title: Practical Verified Computation with Streaming Interactive Proofs
Speaker: Justin Thaler, Harvard
Fri Nov 9, 2012, 3:00pm – 4:30pm
MCS148

A potential problem in outsourcing work to commercial cloud computing
services is trust. If we store a large data set with a service
provider, and ask them to perform a computation on that data set --
for example, to compute the eigenvalues of a large graph, or to
compute a linear program on a large matrix derived from a database --
how can we know the computation was performed correctly? Obviously we
don't want to compute the result ourselves, and we might not even be
able to store all the data locally. This leads to new problems in the
streaming paradigm: we consider a streaming algorithm (modeling a user
with limited memory and computational resources) that can be assisted
by a powerful helper (the service provider). The goal of the service
provider is to not only provide the user with answer, but to convince
the user the answer is correct.

In this talk, I will describe a recent line of work exploring the
application of proof systems to problems that are streaming in nature.
The protocols I will discuss utilize and extend powerful ideas from
communication complexity and the theory of interactive proofs, and I
will argue that many are highly practical, achieving millions of
updates per second and requiring little space and communication.

Joint work with Amit Chakrabarti, Graham Cormode, Andrew McGregor,
Michael Mitzenmacher, and Ke Yi