[Busec] BUsec this week: Catherine Tucker (Wed 4PM) and Stefano Tessaro (Tues 11AM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Mar 19 09:48:25 EDT 2012

Hi All,

We have two exciting talks this week.

First, we have Catherine Tucker from the Sloan School at MIT speaking about
her research on privacy at the CS colloquium, Wednesday 4PM;  this research
has been featured in the New York Times, and should be a
great talk.   Please let me know if you would like to meet with Catherine
while she is here.

Also, we have Stefano Tessaro from MIT speaking at our seminar, on a result
showing that a *fourteen* round Feistal construction is indifferentiable
from an invertible random permutation.  If you are curious about where this
fourteen comes from, join us on Tuesday, 11AM in MCS148 at 111 Cummington
St.  As usual, visitors are welcome, and lunch will be provided at noon.

See you then,

The Equivalence of the Random Oracle Model and the Ideal Cipher Model,
Revisited

Stefano Tessaro, MIT

Abstract:

We consider the problem of constructing an invertible random permutation
from a public random function (i.e., which can be accessed by the
adversary). This goal is formalized by the notion of indifferentiability
introduced by Maurer et al. (TCC 2004).  We prove that the Feistel
construction with fourteen rounds is indifferentiable from an invertible
random permutation. An important implication of our result is the
equivalence of the random oracle model and the ideal cipher model.