[Busec] BUsec next week: Stefano Tessaro - 11AM Tuesday March 20

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Thu Mar 15 23:50:36 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Next week, we have Stefano Tessaro from MIT speaking at our seminar, on a
result showing that a *fourteen* round Feistal construction is
indifferentiable from an invertible random permutation.  If you are curious
about where this fourteen comes from, join us on Tuesday, 11AM in MCS148 at
111 Cummington St.

As usual, visitors are welcome, and lunch will be provided at noon.

See you then,
Sharon

The Equivalence of the Random Oracle Model and the Ideal Cipher Model,
Revisited
Stefano Tessaro, MIT

Abstract:
We consider the problem of constructing an invertible random permutation
from a public random function (i.e., which can be accessed by the
adversary). This goal is formalized by the notion of indifferentiability
introduced by Maurer et al. (TCC 2004).  We prove that the Feistel
construction with fourteen rounds is indifferentiable from an invertible
random permutation. An important implication of our result is the
equivalence of the random oracle model and the ideal cipher model.