[Busec] Seminar in ECE - Tuesday (today!) at 1pm

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Feb 20 23:38:14 EST 2012

Hi Group,

The seminar below, with the info theory group in ECE, might be of interest;
part of it touches on info-theoretic security.

From: Nazer, Bobak <bobak at bu.edu>
Date: Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Subject: Seminar of possible interest
To: Sharon Goldberg <goldbe at cs.bu.edu>

Hi Sharon,

Hope all is well. Tracey Ho from Caltech will be stopping by on Tuesday at
1pm to give a seminar. Thought you might find it interesting, since it
relates to networks/security (although it may be more from info-theoretic
side). If you think anyone else might be interested (CS faculty, students,
etc.), it would be great if you could forward this to them too!

Thanks!

Bobak

Prof. Tracey Ho, Caltech
Tuesday Feb 21st at 1pm in PHO 339

Title: Error correction for deadlines, keys and computationally limited
networks

Abstract:

Classical coding theory deals with the problem of robust transmission on
individual unreliable channels. Its network generalization considers coding
for networks where some links may be erroneous. Network error correction
coding for single-source multicast networks has been well studied. We show
that problems with multiple sources or multiple receivers with different
demands require new coding schemes and capacity bounding techniques, and
introduce a variety of applications.  One application is streaming
communication, where specific information must be decoded by specific
deadlines.  This can be modeled as a network error/erasure correction
problem where each deadline corresponds to a receiver with different
demands.  We use this perspective to characterize capacity and design good
codes.  In decentralized networks, our results on secure multi-source
network error correction can be used for distributing cryptographic keys
when not all participating nodes are trustworthy. Finally, we construct
rateless network error correction codes allowing coding-based information
theoretic security, which uses path diversity and redundant capacity as
resources, to supplement cryptographic security, which relies on computation
as a resource, in networks of computationally limited low-power devices.

Bio:

Tracey Ho is an Assistant Professor in Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science at the California Institute of Technology. She received a Ph.D.
(2004) and B.S. and M.Eng degrees (1999) in Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science (EECS) from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(MIT). She was a co-recipient of the 2009 Communications & Information
Theory Society Joint Paper Award. Her primary research interests are in
information theory, network coding and communication networks.