[Busec] Fwd: [Toc-visitors] New reading group: Entanglement and Cryptography (Thomas Vidick, Spring 2013, Wednesdays 4-6PM in G531)

Leonid Reyzin reyzin at cs.bu.edu
Mon Dec 17 10:51:32 EST 2012

--------------------
New reading group: Entanglement and Cryptography.

Summary
-------------

When: Wednesdays 4-6pm. First class February 6th.
Where: G531
What: Revolutionizing multiparty cryptography by harnessing basic
quantum mechanics and special relativity
Who: Interested graduate and advanced undergraduate students willing
to put in a reasonable amount of reading and creative thinking effort.
Instructor: Thomas Vidick (thomas.vidick at gmail.com)

Details
----------

A number of very recent breakthroughs have demonstrated an expanding
range of possibilities for the use of quantum mechanics in
cryptography:

- Classical testing of a quantum computer (or, how to puppeteer a
quantum computation with classical hands):
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1209.0448. This will likely be the first paper
we read (and maybe the one we spend most time on): get started early!
- Device-independent key distribution  (or, how to obtain secure
implementation of two-party cryptography without any computational
assumption): http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1209.0435,
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1210.1810
- Randomness certification (or, how to guarantee the house's shuffle):
http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.3427

What is even more surprising is that security of protocols for these
tasks can be guaranteed *without even relying on quantum mechanics*.
Only some kind of causal isolation is required between the parties.

The goals of the reading group will be, starting from the study of
some of the papers linked to above (and others), to:
1) Understand the properties of quantum mechanics that make such tasks
possible. These include entanglement, no-signaling correlations and
the phenomenon of monogamy.
2) Find ideas for cryptographic tasks that can be solved by taking
advantage of these properties. Initial suggestions include delegated
computation, distributed computation, or other multiparty primitives,
but I expect that we will find much more as we go along.

The format: we will meet for two hours every Wednesday at 4pm. Each
week one of the participants will present a paper, and we will discuss
it. If there is interest a more focused group might form around
pursuing research around some of the ideas that were presented, and
will report to the reading group. We will try to have guest lectures
by experts whenever available.

Workload: this is an advanced reading group and will require a minimal
amount of involvement (reading papers, coming up with questions,
etc.). Most of the ideas discussed however will not require too much
background, and anyone interested should be able to pick up the
required facts on quantum computing and/or cryptography on the go.

The reading group has a webpage where you will find an updated
schedule and also notes for the lectures:
people.csail.mit.edu/vidick/dicrypto_spring13.html
There is also a mailing list for announcements, and anyone interested
should sign up here: