[Busec] Fwd: BUCS Colloquium by Emily Whiting today at 11:00AM in MCS148

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Fri Oct 21 08:19:49 EDT 2011

   Hi everyone,

I'm hosting a talk today at 11AM on using techniques from optimization and
computer graphics to design masonary buildings.
I realize this is off topic for most of us, but I saw this work presented at
MIT a few weeks ago and was so blown away that I invited Emily to present
here at BU.

So, if you have some time today, you might enjoy attending this talk.

Sharon

                    *

                  *

                    *

> Abstract:
>

> *

                      In the design of buildings, structural analysis is
> traditionally performed after the aesthetic design has been determined and
> has little influence on the overall form. This thesis presents methods to
> integrate architectural design and structural analysis. While existing tools
> focus on providing an analysis of the stress state, the proposed methods
> focus on geometry and equilibrium to obtain forms that are more structurally
> sound. The feasibility of masonry structures is modeled using a novel
> penalty formulation, assuming a rigid-block behavior of masonry. Two methods
> were developed that apply this model of feasibility to structural
> optimization.
>
> In the first approach, structural feasibility is introduced into procedural
> modeling of buildings. A set of designated free parameters are automatically
> tuned to achieve structural feasibility constraints. It is demonstrated how
> this allows for more realistic structural models that can be interacted with
> in physical simulations.
>
> In the second approach, a closed form derivation of structural gradients is
> presented that measures the change in stability of a building with respect
> to geometry modifications. The method computes the gradient of structural
> feasibility constraints, parameterized by vertex modifications. The
> gradients are visualized as interaction tools, giving user-guidance for
> effectively modifying a structural design. User-controlled constraints,
> formulated as penalty functions, are incorporated so that the user can
> explore variations of structurally feasible designs.

                     *Bio: *Emily Whiting recently completed her PhD at MIT,