[Busec] crypto reading group: This monday, Oct 17, 9-10:30 at

Ran Canetti canetti at tau.ac.il
Fri Oct 14 16:18:06 EDT 2011

Hi All -
Finally the reading group is on the road. This monday, Oct 17, 9-10:30am,
Adam Oneil will speak about functional encryption., or in his words:

-----------
We overview the recent notion of functional encryption (FE), a concept
first developed in the pioneering work on Fuzzy Identity-Based Encryption
(Sahai and Waters, Eurocrypt 2005).  At a high level, FE associates secret
keys with *functions*, whereby a secret key sk_f for a function f
``decrypts'' an encryption c of m to f(m).

Although we will discuss the state-of-the-art constructions, particular
emphasis will be given to understanding definitional aspects of FE rather
than proof techniques.  Indeed, a fascinating aspect of FE is that properly
formulating its security is quite non-trivial, and a semantic security
style formulation of security turns out to be *inequivalent* to an
indistinguishability style one (in contrast to the classical setting of
public-key encryption).
-----------

We'll meet at room 137 at the CS building, BU (111 Cummington st).
At this time there is usually plenty of (metered) street parking on
Cummington st. Also if you need a shuttle from MIT/MSR/wherever please let
me know.

Ran

PS - Please also feel free to go to
https://sites.google.com/site/bcrg2011/home
and either add papers that you would like to see presented at the reading
group, or comment on exisitng suggestions. Also volunteering to present a
paper will be highly appreciated!