[Busec] Fwd: [Systems-security] talk today Dr. Ben Livshits, MSR Redmond

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Oct 3 12:17:30 EDT 2011

FYI.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raluca Ada Popa <ralucap at mit.edu>
Date: Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Subject: [Systems-security] talk today Dr. Ben Livshits, MSR Redmond
To: systems-security at lists.csail.mit.edu

Today at *3*pm, Dr. Ben Livshits will talk about RePriv: Re-Imagining
Content Personalization and In-Browser Privacy.
Please be on time at 3pm because today the room is needed at 4pm.
See you there!

Begin forwarded message:

When: Monday, Oct 3, 3pm
Where: Stata G575

Speaker: Dr. Ben Livshits
Title: RePriv: Re-Imagining Content Personalization and In-Browser Privacy

Abstract: RePriv is a browser-based technology that allows for Web
personalization, while controlling the release of private information
within the browser. We demonstrate how to perform mining of core user
interests within a browser. We propose a protocol on top of HTTP that
can be used to seamlessly integrate RePriv with existing Web
infrastructure and also show how pluggable miners can be used to
extract more detailed information and how to check these third-party
miners for privacy leaks.

We show that RePriv's default in-browser mining can be done with no
noticeable overhead to normal browsing, and that the results it
produces converge quickly. We then go on to show similar results for
each of our case studies: that RePriv enables high-quality
personalization, and that the performance impact each case has on the
browser is minimal. We conclude that personalized content and
individual privacy on the Web are not mutually exclusive.

Bio: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/livshits/talks.htm