[Busec] tomorrow 11AM - Rick Skowyra on DHT security

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Mar 7 17:19:55 EST 2011

Hi all,

At tomorrow's reading group (11AM, MCS237) we have Rick Skowyra
presenting his new work (with me and Azer) on distributed hash table
security.   We'd appreciate your feedback, so hope to see you there!

Peer-to-peer systems have emerged as one of the most popular methods
for distributing content over the Internet. We identify and define
Zenith attacks, a new class of attacks on such systems, which seek to
expose the popularity of individual items of content in order to
maximize the attack potency and minimize attack cost. We instantiate a
Zenith attack on Kademlia and Chord networks and quantify the cost of
such an attack. As a countermeasure to these attacks we propose
Crypsis, a which provides provable security guarantees for concealment
of lookup frequency while maintaining logarithmic routing and state
bounds.