[Busec] Fwd: A project-driven introduction to Python for women and their friends: July 8th and 9th at Google

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Jun 20 12:53:31 EDT 2011

Hi All,

See the below, looks interesting...

From: Science and Engineering, Women In <wise at bu.edu>
Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Subject: A project-driven introduction to Python for women and their
friends: July 8th and 9th at Google
To: wise-faculty-l <wise-faculty-l at bu.edu>, gwise-students-l
<gwise-students-l at bu.edu>

Hi Laurel, Alice,

I'm an MIT alum and an organizer for the Boston Python Meetup
http://meetup.bostonpython.com

We are running a free Python intro workshop for women this July at
Google that I thought might be of interest to WISE and some of BU's
departmental Women's Groups. Several local university students and
alums are volunteers for the event, as well as some other great women
from the local programming and open source communities.

If you think WISE members would be interested in this event, it would
be great if you could pass along the event details below.

Best regards,

-Jessica McKellar

http://jesstess.com

===

*What*: A project-driven introduction to Python for women and their
friends http://meetup.bostonpython.com/events/22818421/

*When*: Friday, July 8th, 6pm-9pm, and Saturday, July 9th, 9:30am-4:30pm

*Where*: Google

5 Cambridge Center Cambridge, Floors 3-6

Cambridge, MA 02142

*Learn and practice Python basics with this project-driven workshop!*

*Audience*: Women and their friends who have no or limited programming
experience. This event is welcoming and respectful of trans women. Men
are welcome as guests of women who are attending.

On Friday evening you'll set up your development environment and start
learning Python through a self-directed tutorial and online practice
problems.

On Saturday we'll spend the morning on a lecture-based introduction to
the language, taking breaks to practice concepts on bite-sized
exercises. In the afternoon we'll break out into groups to practice
Python through short projects on a variety of fun and practical
topics.

*You must be able to attend both days of the workshop to participate.*

Our goal is to provide an environment in which women can develop their
programming skills with confidence. Our staff are predominantly women
from the Boston programming and open source communities.

See the Workshop wiki
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Boston_Python_Workshop_3  for more
information on laptop setup, lecture material, and the projects, as
well as workshop logistics including parking and childcare.

*Venue details*

Google is hosting and sponsoring this event. They are at:

5 Cambridge Center, Floors 3-6

Cambridge, MA 02142

You will need to sign Google's standard visitor NDA upon arrival on Friday.

*Friday evening: laptop setup and first steps with Python*

   - 6 PM to 9 PM: set up your development environment and start learning

   Python.

   - Things to bring: a wireless-enabled laptop.

*Saturday: lecture and projects*

   - 9:30am - 10am: settle in and review Friday's material over tea and

   coffee, courtesy of Google!

   - 10am - Noon: welcome and lecture-based introduction to Python with

   hands-on practice.

   - Noon - 1pm: lunch, provided by Google! If you have dietary

   restrictions, please e-mail us as you RSVP.

   - 1pm - 4pm: projects.

   - 4pm - 4:30pm: wrap-up and next steps.

   - Things to bring: the same wireless-enabled laptop from Friday.

*Saturday projects:*

   - using the Twitter API to write parts of a Twitter client

   - wordplay and how to cheat at Words with Friends

   - programming graphical effects for a ColorWall

Check it out! http://meetup.bostonpython.com/events/19750991/