[Busec] Niky Riga on GENI tomorrow 11AM MCS137

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:19:49 EDT 2011

Hi All,

On Tuesday's reading group we have Niky Riga giving an overview of
GENI, at the usual 11AM in MCS137.  An abstract of Niky's talk is
below.

After this, we have (in order) Vatche, Giorgos, and our group
discussion on conferences.

Looking forward!

GENI - Global Environment for Network Innovations

Abstract:  The Global Environment for Network Innovations (GENI) is a
suite of research infrastructure components rapidly taking shape in
prototype form across the US. It is sponsored by the US National
Science Foundation, with the goal of becoming the world's first
laboratory environment for exploring future Internets at scale,
promoting innovations in network science, security, technologies,
services, and applications.
In this talk I will introduce GENI through a couple of example
use-cases, I will review the growing suite of infrastructure and
evolving control framework. I will also present previous and current
experiments running in GENI and discuss how can someone new to GENI
participate.

GENI at a glance :
GENI allows academic and industrial researchers to perform a new class
of experiments that tackle critically important issues in global
communications networks:
 - Science issues: we cannot currently understand or predict the
behavior of complex, large-scale networks
 - Innovation issues: we face substantial barriers to at-scale
experimentation with new architectures, services, and technologies
 - Society issues: we increasingly rely on the Internet but are unsure
that can we trust its security, privacy or resilience

GENI is enabling researchers to explore these issues by running
large-scale, well-instrumented, end-to-end experiments engaging
substantial numbers of real users. These experiments may be fully
compatible with today's Internet, variations or improvements on
today's Internet protocols, or indeed radically novel, clean slate
designs.

The GENI project is now supporting such experiments across a mesoscale
build-out through more than a dozen US campuses, two national
backbones, and several regional networks. If this effort proves
successful, it will provide a path toward more substantial build-out.