[brite-users] Brite output format

Robert P Ricci ricci at cs.utah.edu
Thu Jun 15 01:38:47 EDT 2006

Thus spake Steven Webb on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:10:32AM +0800:
> 1) Are the edges only one way or are they bi-directional?

They are bi-directional.

> 2) The bandwidth is given as a floating point number.  What does it
> mean?  Is it relative to something or is it an actual value such as in
> seconds?

I'm not totally sure about the units for prop delay - I would guess they
are in milliseconds.

Bandwidths come from the AssignBW method, whose parameters (max BW, min
BW) are basically unitless. So, they are basically whatever you chose to
interpret them as. :) The default settings are min=10, max=1024. It
seems reasonable to assume them to be in MBps, which would give you
speeds of 10Mbps to 1 Gbps, which seem like reasonable numbers for
backbone router links.

But, I'm not sure if anyone can really tell you what range and
distribution are most representative of the real Internet; just as it's
not totally clear what the most representative values for other topology
generator parameters are.

--