[brite-users] (no subject)

Pablo García Osés pablogo1980 at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 00:29:35 EDT 2004

Hi, My name is Pablo. I'm an Spanish student of telecommunications
engineering at Public University of Navarra (Spain).
I`m interested in using Brite but i have some doubts about the placement of
the nodes (in the heavy tailed case).

In the documentation you can read that...

"...When the placement is heavy-tailed, BRITE divides the plane into squares
(the size of
the plane and the size of the squares is controlled by parameters passed to
BRITE. See Section 3.8). Each of these squares is assigned a number of nodes
drawn from a heavy-tailed distribution.

The first question is, what are the values of alpha and k used in the heavy
tailed distribution (Pareto distribution if i´m not wrong)?

The next question in relation with the heavy tailed distribution is about
this sentence:

"Each of these squares is assigned a number of nodes drawn from a
heavy-tailed distribution"

What happens if the number of nodes assigned to the square (obtained from
the pareto distribution, that is not upperbounded) is greater than the total
number of nodes in the network. I don't understand ver well the step of
assigning a number of nodes from the pareto distribution to the square.

And well, thats all. Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor english