[brite-users] Adding Models to BRITE

Anukool Lakhina anukool at cs.bu.edu
Tue Sep 2 16:04:33 EDT 2003

Hi Ivano,

All Models are derived from the abstract class Model.  To add your
own model, you need to extend this abstract Model class or one of an
already derived class (that is, one of ASModel, RouterModel,
TopDownHierModel, BottomUpHierModel or their derived classes).

All models follow a three step procedure to generating topologies:
 1) Placing nodes on a plane
 2) Connecting the nodes
 3) Annotating the nodes and links.

So your model will overwrite one or all of these methods.  Depending on
how different your model is from existing BRITE models, you may have to
overwrite all or just a single method from a parent.

Once you've done this, your model is ready and the last step is to
integrate it with the GUI.  This is admittedly a cumbersome process and
one I can discuss with you offline.

I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Good luck,

Anukool